A Fijian wedding is legally binding and recognised. To get married in Fiji there are several things that you do need to know.
You will need:
1. Marriage Documents Requirement
Overseas visitors who are intending to get married in Fiji are required by law to obtain and sign a marriage license from the registry office prior to couple getting married. Most resorts will handle all legal documentation prior to arrival therefore the couple must forward both all CERTIFIED photocopies of the required documentation at least six weeks prior to wedding date.
- Birth Certificates
- Passport(valid visas)
- Single Status Declaration Certificate
- Divorce and death certificate if applicable
- If bride is below the age of 21 years – letters of consent from both parents, if one of the parents is deceased a death certificate is required
* All original copies should be brought with couple when travelling to Fiji.
2. Notice of intention to marry license
Applications of marriage license is available at all registry offices in Fiji including the Assistant District Registrars located at rural and remote areas. The notice to marry needs to be completed by couple whereby all information is typed in the form. The license is valid for 28 days effective from the date of issue and within this period of marriage must be officiated.
3. Witnessing and signing of marriage certificate
- Every marriage in Fiji needs to be performed in the presences of at least two witnesses who are 21 years or over.
- All copies of certificates of marriage must be signed by the party, witnessed and endorsed by the minister or celebrant.
- One of the original A5 certificate must be given to the wedded couple while the second certificate is forwarded with the license to the registry within 7 days to be registered. Then only your registered Marriage Certificate is obtained for you.
Fijian weddings are legal in Australia all you will need to do is change your name with Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Talk to us, and we are more than happy to assist you plan further your easy legal wedding to Fiji.